Thursday, January 17, 2013

Ranting About Waiting

I've read that it's not good to hold your anger in. It can actually shorten your life. So, this is strictly for my own health. When I take my child to the doctor I am always 15 minutes early to make sure they have all the paperwork needed. I also have things filled out before hand and pre-register when possible.

We had a 2:15 appoint. We were there at 2:00 with paperwork in hand. At 2:45 someone came out and checked my sons eyes. This took a few minutes and simply checked with the eye chart and for color blindness. Nothing we really needed, but fine, it's part of seeing the ophthalmologist.  We were then taken back to the waiting room to wait. I always ask how long it will be because with 4 kids I always have to be somewhere. I can't be late getting home for my youngest son to get off the bus. She kindly informed us it would be about 45 minutes before the doctor would see us. I kindly informed her that we had a 2:15 appoint. They then told us that any time we go there we need to expect to be there for 2 hours.

WHAT?? 2 hours to wait to see the doctor?? Why not just set the appointments so everyone doesn't have to wait 2 hours? That sounds logical to me. I told her that we would have to reschedule but she made it clear that everyone just needs to know that they will have to wait that amount of time because he sees 80 people a day. Granted, we live in an area that just doesn't have much and there is a huge concentration of older people. (the young people have all moved away...like 2/3 of the people that used to live in central New York are now gone)  Still....there are other ophthalmologist in the area.You can be assured that we will find one and tell everyone I know not to go to this place!

It's not just the waiting and clear sign of total disrespect for the patients time but the waiting room as well as the examining room were FULL of posters and pamphlets for Botox and braces. Why?? The whole set up was just really insulting. Clearly these are not doctors we are dealing with but simply businessmen who spent a little more time in school. I was waiting for a used car to be for sale in the waiting room.

I can't say if the doctors were any good or not because I'm not going to be so insulted as to expect to wait for 2 hours when appointments could clearly be set up better. I can say though that none of us will ever go to that eye physicians office on Ellinwood Drive!

Ok, I'm done. I feel better.

Do you blame me? Would you wait 2 hours?

No comments:

Post a Comment