Monday, October 22, 2012

Belly Bands for Mill Rescue Dogs


So, what is a belly band? It's like a doggy diaper for boy dogs and you put a panty liner in them and strap them on. I have never heard of such a thing until my sister started talking about it. Here I am, making belly bands for my sister....not for her exactly...I assure you she is totally potty-trained:) She has gotten very involved with doing what she can to help rescue Puppy Mill dogs. I am shocked at the lives they lead! Shocked! I've always known to stay away from buying puppies from a place like that, but I honestly can't believe anyone can treat such innocent animals the way they do. My sister adopted a Mill dog and they don't come potty-trained. This little guy had gone from home to home because of his lack of control. It makes these dogs harder to place into forever homes. In come the need for belly bands. When you "eliminate" the accidents...(I know..but I had to) people are more willing to give the dog longer to acclimate to their home.



measure and cut one fleece and one liner.

sew right sides together on 3 sides and turn.


iron sides and stich inside - sew on square of Velcro

sew on long rectangle of softer side of Velcro.
My sister is so sincere in her wanting to help she went out and bought her first sewing machine and taught herself to sew to make these. I'm so thrilled that she has discovered for herself what our Grandmother loved so much.Sisters always want to help somehow, and of course the fact that I could sew something that had meaning made the task so much more great.




My beautiful model.


Now all I have to do is mail them to:

National Mill Dog Rescue
P.O. Box 88468
Colorado Springs, CO 80908

The size that we made were the ones they said they were running low on. I guess she had also made some smaller ones.

Thank you my dear sister for letting me help. I love you.

3 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for helping me and supporting this rescue. My Dog, Oliver, a long hair chihuahua lived his first 5 years of life in a dirty cage. Never knowing love. When I went to National Mill Dog Rescue here in Colorado, they told me that he had just been returned to them after 2 months because he couldn't be "housetrained". I was in love with him immediately. He was so sweet and he attached himself to me as his person right away.

    I quickly found that he was actually fairly easy to housetrain. But he is a boy. And he was a breeding dog. So he "marks". The belly bands take the frustration away. I have never raised my voice to him... and I never will. The belly band is not a punishment, it is put on with praise and love. Depending on the need...adjust what size liner you want to use. I actually use thin maxi pads. They absorb and pull the moisture away from him.

    If we help keep one dog in his home... <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are many belly bands out there.... but for some reason, people and companies make them with juvenille material or just plain ugly material! LOL I believe that you can have a stylish belly band that suits either your dogs fur or your own taste as well as the practicality of the device. I love making them. I love the rescues and the dogs I'm making them for! Oliver was meant to be my baby. I love him as dearly as the pugs I raised from 8 week old babies :-) These are MY children! LOL

    ReplyDelete