Wednesday, February 9, 2011

The most exciting time of year!

It's here! That time of year where you have nothing but endless possibilities is finally here. It makes the remaining cold and snowy days tolerable. I'm writing out my plans for my gardens and rewriting them. I have spread sheets made up on Excel, books all over the place, my notebooks ready to totally organize me this year, and my box of seeds. I'm set to go.
The last frost date up here is between May 10-20th. I'm always hopeful though and want to have my seedlings as big as I can have them to get a jump on our short growing season.  I have meant to get my indoor lettuce crop going all winter but something always came up. 4 kids do tend to keep you busy:) I'm starting my broccoli seeds and hope to really have more broccoli than we know what to do with. It's my hope to need to buy a small chest freezer this year.
My main focus early in the season is getting my berry plants in the ground for future years. I've never thought about future years before, so it's kind of hard for me to imagine being in the same house. I'm really not happy up here, but my kids are. I may have to bite the bullet on this one at least long enough for my oldest son to finish high school. So, that means I'm getting my Kiwi trees and planting my blueberry bushes and Blackberry's. The county sells berry bushes by 25 - 100 for an unbelievable price for conservation. We have a side yard that seems so wasteful to mow. The amount of fuel wasted on lawn mowing in this country is sick. We do have an electric mower, but it won't work for the side yard. It was great for my smaller yard in NC, but we have a few acres up  here and the best way to deal with it is to plant it. My strawberry box is doing well and this year will be great. Organic berry's for my kids without paying the crazy price. I want berry's everywhere.
Next on my list is building a secondary coop and run for my new batch of chicks. I don't think my husband believes me, but I'm hunting for a donkey now. I saw on TV that you can get a donkey to chase off bear from your yard. Well, if a donkey will protect you from bear, I'm sure it will protect my chickens from coyote. Perfect solution! Surprising I didn't think of this sooner:) My husband will come around. He knew what he was getting into when he married me. A man doesn't marry a crazy women with two kids without being ready for some excitement in his life.
Happy Spring Planning!!!!  



No comments:

Post a Comment